Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Through My Grandfather's Lens.

I want to do something a little different here now. Not just show my photos but the photos of someone how meant alot to me. My Grandfather. These next five photos I've included here are all taken by my Grandfather many years ago. They date between 1938 to during WWII. All with his old Kodak Compur with leather bellows and all. I actually have this camera in my possesion and will cherrish it always. I actually have used it very recently after a small repair to the bellows. Not bad for a camera over 65 years old. The stories it tells continue.

After my Grandfather passed away a few years ago I came into his photo collection. Not photos but the actual 35mm negatives!!! Imagine a box 1ft deep and 2ft sqaure full of rolls of negatives.
Negative rolls wrapped painstakingly in fine tissue, some put back in their original screw top tin. Most with the dating on them. Some not. All complete uncut rolls. A photojournal of my families life starting in Latvia in the 1930's to some that are in the to mid late 1970's. I don't know if there are negatives from that point on. There should be but I don't know where they would be.

So I have, after some research, decided to start scanning them and will attempt a complete archieve of his efforts. I've done some quick scans to see how some would look and these are the results. This is a very difficult process. Not technically but emotionally. I'm reliving my families history through the eyes of my Grandfather.

We never talked about taking pictures but I knew he loved it. He new I liked it. But I don't think he knew how much he influenced me. I miss him dearly and wish we could sit down and talk of all the things we have learned. I most definately would have loved to see his reaction now as I take a picture and have it pop up on the back of my D70! I can see the look now. He would smirk, smile and shake his head. Then probably cautiously take it from my hands and go absolutely crazy! Thanks Grampa. Thanks for everything.
(From the picture you see below to my desktop some 65 years later,
this old Kodak has seen a lot. Even the same case!)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures!!! I know the feeling of looking at old family photographs and not knowing who the people are...it is sad, but at least you have something of them. Were it not for the picture, you wouldn't even know that they had existed. Keep going with your blog it's much appreciated.
K. xxx

Anonymous said...

Hey Mike!! They are absolutely fantastic. I know nothing about photography, but love the way you capture your town and it's "contents" - the cars. ha haa THE DUCK!! I knew you were talented with the photography, especially with colouring them in :o), but didn't know the extent of your talent.
Brilliant. Keep going. Your grandad would be very proud of you.